Synthetic wigs are in again and everyone’s trying to get themselves a cheap and cheerful show-stopper to glam up their wig collection. With the likes of Shein, Labello Beauty and other popular synthetic-retailers marketing the versatility of synthetic units, more and more wig-wearers are becoming attracted to the idea. If you've succumb to the very-valid temptation of synthetic wigs (or feel like you’re about to soon!) then continue reading, we have a few vital tips to keep your wig in tip-top conditon, and therefore lasting much longer!
1. Your Synthetic Wig is Not Invited to the Sleepover
Repeat after us - you synthetic wig is not invited to the sleepover! As much as you’d probably want to keep your wig on overnight for whichever reason, we hate to break it to you, but this is not a good idea. While sleeping, there will be a lot friction of fricition between your wig and your pillow case. This friction will surely 'deteriorate the fibers and cause a loss of hair over time', and you'll probably wake up with an unpleasant frizzy and dry and matted wig in the morning! If you have no other option and your synthetic wig just has to be invited to the sleepover, then we'd suggest opting in for a silk pillowcase and bonnet to restrict the friction and the moisture stripped from the wig. For more detailed advice regarding must-have wig mainteance products, check out our previous blog post!
Image | Sleeping on Silk Pillowcase
2. Your Synthetic Wig is Not Invited to the Gym Sesh
Or any other sweat-producing activity for that matter. Synthetic wigs, unfortunately, are not as breathable as human hair. Because of this, they will retain the sweat, moisture and not to mention, any odours from strainous activities you partake in. Eventually, your synthetic wig will matte up if you continue to bring it along to such activities without regular washing. The more sweat and product build up, the easier it will be for your synthetic wig to matte up and harder for it to revert to it's bouncy and radiant state. To keep your wig around for longer and get your value for money, keep your wig away from activities that involve sweat and avoid wearing them for long periods of time.
Image | Gym Session in Progress
3. Save Your Wig with Excellent and Regular Maintenance
Having a superb maintenance routine will be the difference between having your synthetic tresses for 1 week compared to 1 year. We’d recommend your routine looking a bit like this:
- Comb out your wig very gently with a sturdy detangling brush - ensure you start from the bottom and work your way up
- Rinse the hair with lukewarm water. Make sure it's not hot... or you will witness your wig melt/damage right infront of your eyes!
- Shampoo time! Ensure you use a sulfate and paraben-free shampoo.
- Rinse off the shampoo and condition your wig
- Lastly, rinse off the conditioner and air dry the wig after gently combing it out with a tangle teezer, bottom to top again.
Image | Kérastase Shampoo
We hope these life-saving synthetic maintenance tips ensure longer durability and usage of your wigs! If you have any tips that have saved your synthetic wigs, pop them below in the comments - let's help each other out!